Kratom concentrates or kratom extracts are a liquid form of kratom that contain a higher concentration of extracted full-spectrum alkaloids than regular kratom powder. As a result, the desired effects kick in faster and last longer by just taking a small dosage.
If you’re new to kratom concentrates and are unsure where to start, this detailed guide will help you navigate the world of kratom concentrates without risking your health.
The Extraction Process
The common solvents used in the extraction process include:
- Citric acid
The extraction process of most kratom extracts starts by mixing kratom leaves or powder with a solvent and heating it up. After heating the mixture, the solvent evaporates and pulls all full-spectrum kratom alkaloids from the plant material, forming thick scum.
Using a mild solvent helps preserve as many alkaloids as possible during extraction. The concentrated extract is then further processed into various forms.
Types of Kratom Concentrates
Kratom concentrates come in two main forms to suit different user preferences:
Kratom Liquid Extract
Liquid concentrates are available in tincture form, with a dropper for easy dosing. The best way to take your dose is through sublingual administration. The alkaloids in the tincture get absorbed via the blood vessels under the tongue and directly enter the bloodstream, where they begin an onset of effects.
To take your dose, fill up the dropper and place a few drops under your tongue. Allow at least a minute for the droplets to sit on the tongue, then swish the remaining liquid in your mouth before swallowing it all.
Kratom shots are a version of a kratom energy drink. They’re available in small-sized bottles and meant for one or two small servings.
Kratom shots contain other ingredients apart from liquid kratom. The ingredient list may include L-theanine, caffeine, and other herbs. They also have added flavorings to mask the bitter taste of natural liquid kratom.
Solid concentrates come in the form of:
Kratom resin is a dense, sticky solid concentrate resembling hardened honey or tar. It is dark brown and more potent than other concentrate forms. To consume kratom resin, you can break it into small pieces and mix it into hot beverages like milk, coffee, or tea. Another option is to grind it into a powder and fill it in empty capsules.
Enhanced Kratom Powder
Enhanced kratom powder is a blend of regular kratom powder and liquid full-spectrum kratom concentrate. Its preparation involves evaporating the liquid concentrate to create a potent concentrated powder. Manufacturers label enhanced kratom powders as 5x or 10x, signifying their potency level. You can consume this potent powder using the toss-and-wash method for fast-acting effects, or you can mix it with edibles or beverages.
Pros and Cons of Kratom Concentrates
|Full Spectrum Alkaloids: Full spectrum kratom extract contains a full range of the herb's compounds. These include phytochemicals, flavonoids, and phenols. These plant compounds often work together to provide an "entourage effect" that intensifies the effects of kratom's two main alkaloids: mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. Thus, kratom users can feel a range of desired effects, from energy and mood lift to sedation.||Concentrates are not suitable for those who are new to kratom. That’s because they’re more potent than regular capsules or powder.|
|Convenience: They're available in small-sized tincture bottles, which you can carry in your pocket or bag. If you're an avid traveler, you can still enjoy your kratom dose wherever you go.||They often have a higher price point. This is because of the sophisticated extraction processes used by manufacturers.|
|Palatable: Some concentrates are available in delicious fruity flavors, making them more palatable for those who cringe at kratom's sharp and bitter taste.||Taking a large dose at once, even for advanced kratom users, may trigger some side effects, such as nausea, headaches, vomiting, diarrhea, and dizziness.|
|Bioavailability: Kratom concentrates get absorbed quickly into the bloodstream through the membrane under the tongue. As a result, you experience an onset of effects within minutes.|
|Easy dosing: Concentrates in tincture form come with a dropper for easy dosing. Moreover, you need only a few drops to feel the desired effects.|
|Long-lasting effects: The effects of kratom concentrate can last up to eight hours. This suits busy individuals who don't have the time for multiple or frequent dosing.|
|Consistent kratom concentration: Unlike kratom powder, concentrates come with a guaranteed concentration per bottle. For example, this could be 250mg or 300mg of kratom potency. So, you can take a consistent dose of kratom daily and expect a consistent and comfortable experience.|
How to Choose the Best Kratom Concentrates
Here is a checklist you can use to choose the best kratom concentrates.
- Made from organically grown kratom: High-quality kratom concentrate is made from organically grown kratom. Organically grown kratom grows in a natural jungle environment, meaning it does not contain any unwanted chemicals or pesticides. It also doesn’t contain any filler compounds.
- Good manufacturing practices: Look for a kratom brand that uses cGMP manufacturing practices set by the kratom industry. Kratom remains unregulated by the Food Drug Administration (FDA), but reliable vendors will still adhere to FDA’s recommendations on good manufacturing practices.
- Potency labels: Kratom concentrates have a potency multiplier of 2X, 5X, or 25X. Take the example of a concentrate labeled 5X. The amount of active alkaloids in the concentrate is five times more than in regular kratom powder. So if your typical dosage is one gram of kratom powder, you’ll ingest five times the potency when taking a 5X concentrate. So, don’t forget to check out the potency ratio of your concentrate. That’s because it will influence the intensity of the effects.
- Lab-test reports: Choose a product that comes with a third-party lab report. This way, you can verify its ingredients list for purity and potency before buying.
- Full-spectrum alkaloid profile: You want a product that gives you a complete blend of all alkaloids, not just a single alkaloid. Make sure your concentrate product has a full-spectrum alkaloid profile for you to enjoy a wide range of desired effects.
- Customer reviews: Read what other customers have to say about the product. Check for both their positive and negative feedback. Customer reviews can help you gauge whether the product lives up to its promises.
The Bottom Line
Kratom concentrates are much stronger compared to regular kratom. Before your first dose, check the potency label of the concentrate product to know how potent it is because potency influences the intensity of the effects.
When you’re ready, start with a small dose and get a feel of how your body reacts to it before adding more. Otherwise, consuming a large dose at once may lead to potential side effects.
That said, concentrates are a good addition to your kratom regimen when you want to switch things up. So, use them only when you need a powerful kick of kratom’s effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you mix kratom concentrate with alcohol?
Never mix alcohol with a concentrate or any other form of kratom. Mixing these two substances may lead to adverse health effects, such as respiratory problems, coma, or even death.
How long does it take for kratom concentrates to work?
The onset and duration of effects from concentrates can vary among users. Generally, the effects start within 10 to 20 minutes and reach their climax after a few hours. The duration of effects ranges from four to eight hours, depending on the dosage consumed.
Are kratom concentrates expensive?
Concentrates generally have a higher cost compared to regular kratom powder. The higher price is due to the rigorous manufacturing and extraction processes involved.
How do you store kratom concentrates?
Store your concentrates in a cool, dry place away from direct sun exposure. For example, an enclosed kitchen cabinet is a suitable storage location. Tightly seal your tinctures to prevent the entry of moisture and contaminants.