When it comes to mixing Kratom and weed, the community is split between users who love the combo and those who simply cannot stand it. You won’t know how you feel until you try the mix yourself, but before you do, there are a few safety precautions you should take.
In what follows, I discuss whether or not it’s safe to mix Kratom and weed, as well as some of the best ways to do it. But first, let’s take a closer look at some of the reasons why you might want to try this combo to begin with.
Kratom and Weed: Should You Mix Them?
Kratom and marijuana are similar in that they are both natural supplements rich in powerful substances. Beyond this, however, their chemical makeups are quite different. In the case of Kratom, the alkaloids mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine bind with the opioid receptors in the human brain and ultimately have an analgesic and sedative impact.
Weed, on the other hand, contains chemicals referred to as cannabinoids. These include Tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC), Cannabidiol (or CBD), Cannabitriol (or CBT), and dozens of other active substances. Their effects range from pain relief to mood enhancement and reduced anxiety, which makes them quite similar to Kratom.
So what happens if you mix them together? Well, you can expect the following effects:
- A Stronger Analgesic Impact. While Kratom blocks pain receptors and makes you less sensitive to emotional and physical pain, weed increases your body’s tolerance to discomfort. The combination results in a powerful analgesic impact that can ameliorate pain caused by IBS, fibromyalgia, MS, endometriosis, as well as back and joint injuries.
- Stress Relief. In some cases, chronic anxiety and panic attacks are a direct result of the amount of stress that a person is subjected to over long periods of time. When taken together, Kratom and weed can clear your mind and relieve stress, thus improving your overall health and mood.
- Fighting Off Insomnia. If you’re struggling with insomnia, a combination of Kratom and weed can help you achieve a more restful sleep. In fact, it’s recommended that you only take this mix in the evenings because of its powerful sedative impact.
- A More Enjoyable High. Fans of both Kratom and weed praise this combination because they feel that one plant acts as a potentiator for the other. If you use either of the two for recreational purposes, you’ll find that taking them together can lead to an even more powerful state of euphoria or high.
Things to consider: While marijuana has been studied extensively over the past few decades, this is not the case with Kratom. In fact, we do not yet know what the exact effects of mixing Kratom with other substances are. So far, research suggests that Kratom cannot have life-threatening side-effects and anecdotal evidence points out that this is also the case when mixing Kratom and weed.
However, there is reason to believe that mixing Kratom with artificial drugs, pain medication, and/or alcohol can have potentially fatal effects. To stay safe, it’s best to avoid these combinations.
Kratom and Weed: How Do You Mix Them Safely?
Both Kratom and weed are natural supplements that can have negative side-effects if taken in very large quantities. However, it seems that the worst you can expect from the mix is an extremely upset stomach. So long as you don’t mix them with any additional substances, you have no real reason to worry, but it’s still a good idea to take very small doses in order to avoid side-effects like nausea and anxiety.
To have the best experience with Kratom and weed, follow these steps:
- Take your Kratom. Most consumers prefer to take Kratom first. You can do this using the good old “toss and wash” method or by brewing a tea or ingesting a capsule.
- (Optional) Have some food. Although this is an optional step, I do not recommend that you skip it. The combination of Kratom and weed can be very strong and having a bit of food in your stomach will help diminish any negative side-effects like nausea or cramps.
- Take just a bit of weed. One or two hours after taking your Kratom, you can try a small dose of marijuana. Always start with a very small amount to avoid the overpowering impact of the combo.
- Adjust for the desired effect. If in 10 to 20 minutes, you have not yet achieved the desired effect, you can consider taking (or smoking) another small dose of weed. Do this until you get the impact you’re looking for, but always wait for up to 20 minutes before doses.
Kratom and weed have overlapping effects, but they contain different substances, which means that when you put them together, the impact of the combo can be quite strong. To avoid an unpleasant experience, start with a much smaller dose of both Kratom and weed than you’re used to.
Pro Tip 1: It is possible to mix Kratom powder with marijuana and smoke the two together. However, the heat is likely to damage some of the alkaloids in Kratom and drastically reduce its effects.
Pro Tip 2: Given that smoking tends to have negative side-effects on the body and the lungs, in particular, it might be a better idea to take both Kratom and weed in pill form.
Pro Tip 3: If you find that mixing Kratom and marijuana is too overpowering, consider taking your dose of Kratom in the morning and your weed in the evening. This way, you can still enjoy the benefits of both without having to worry about unwanted effects.
Stay Safe when You Mix Kratom and Weed
More research is needed to determine the precise effects of mixing Kratom and weed, but the information we have so far suggests that the combo is mostly safe. Nevertheless, it’s important to remember that you shouldn’t mix either of these two supplements with alcohol or drugs. You might feel tempted to do so while high, so it will take an active effort to abstain.
In addition, both Kratom and marijuana can be cut with other, potentially dangerous substances. Pay close attention to the vendor where you source your powders and never buy from a seller that doesn’t test its products for purity.